Let me start out by saying that I am very short (5’6″) and very small build (120lbs.)I do not like baggy pants, but I don’t like “skinny jeans” either. I’m a middle of the road, loose fit, but still fitting clothes kind of guy.
As you can imagine based on my size, it’s difficult to find a pair of cargo pants (since they normally run pretty baggy) that fit us haven’t-grown-an-inch-since-junior-high-school sized adults.
After quite a bit of research and reading, I came across the 5.11 Stryke Tactical Cargo Pants which had great reviews for being a “more fitting” style of cargo pants. This sounded great, so I went out on a limb and nabbed a pair on Amazon (cheapest pair I found): Link here.
These Pants have a many great features, but these are a few that I am thoroughly impressed with:
- Higher-on-the-leg cargo pockets so you do not need to bend over to reach into the bottom of the pocket!
- Teflon coated for great water resistance and quick drying — I used these kayaking, and they’re fantastic!
- Rip-stop yet stretchy material. Not like spandex, but just a slight give so kneeling doesn’t require hiking the pant leg up!
- Stretchy waistband for adding an IWB holster. — This isn’t your typical stretchy elastic waistband, however, the stretch is built in to the inside of the band so you don’t get the wrinkled material.
- Light and breathable. These absolutely beat the BDUs/DCUs/ABUs I wore in the Air Force for comfort and breathability.
- Double wall knees with knee pad pockets. Knee pads can be purchased separately: Link here (I have not tried the knee pads.)
But of all those features, the absolute best of all is that they don’t look gang-banger ridiculous on a scrawny person like me, nor would they look skin-tight on a larger person either.
I think these pants are well-suited for just about every use, from the tactical shooting pant, to hiking, camping, kayaking, duty wear for first-responders, or if you’re a small person and can’t find fitting cargos ANYWHERE!
They are a bit pricey at around $60, but I am thoroughly impressed, and have every intention of buying more pairs. My personal opinion is that they are well worth the cash!