Though not everyone realizes it, survival kits should be toted around with you almost everywhere that you go. From the grocery store to a relaxing stop at the park, bringing along key materials to help you in the event of an emergency is exactly what a survival kit is designed for. Typically, people carry them along on major trips rather than smaller outings, but a lot of the time, that’s when we end up needing assistance the most.
Understandably, nobody wants to carry a giant backpack jammed full of different aids around while they’re trying to pick up some food at the local market, and therefore packing lightly but efficiently is the key. This can sometimes be tricky, as when you’re trying to pack less, you usually aren’t sure what’s best to bring. Thankfully, many different things provide more than one use, and these are the items that you want to bring along with you.
One incredibly important and surprisingly helpful one is a coffee can, or a regular sized #10 can. Although it doesn’t sound as if it would be of much help, coffee cans can sustain more than you might realize. Below are a handful of different uses that they can assist you with.
1. Carrying and containing objects
A simple one pound coffee can comes complete with both a lid and the ability to hold any number of small items for safer transportation.
2. Transporting fire
While this one may seem a bit odd to you, placing the makings of your fire inside of the coffee can will actually allow you to take it with you to wherever you might be camping next. If it was especially difficult for you to start a fire in the first place, having this ability can be extremely helpful.
3. Carry other survival items
You can definitely store your coffee can inside of another pack, but, despite the fact that it may seem like it takes up a bit too much space, it can also help hold some of the other essentials you’re bringing along, making it relatively space-effective.
4. Be a bench
– No, a coffee can probably wouldn’t support you physically as a seat, but it can definitely support food and any number of smaller materials. Should you find yourself in need of creating a weapon or other gadget, the surface of your coffee can may be able to give you the perfect flat area to fashion something on.
5. Signal rescuers
– It’s not a spotlight, but with the use of something as easy to find as a stick you can make a substantial amount of noise by simply hitting whatever you can find on the metal bottom of the can, which has the potential to alert search parties if they’re nearby.
6. Cook and hold stews and soups. While things you find in the wilderness aren’t always the most appetizing, you’ve got to eat, and a coffee can makes a wonderful storage space for keeping your stews and soups instead of a makeshift and leaky bowl. In addition to that, in a coffee can you are provided with the ability to heat up the stew or soup, which may definitely make the experience a brighter one if you’ve got nothing but earthworms, roots, and water to eat for dinner.
7. Be a shovel
Coffee cans have hard surfaces and are relatively durable. Try scraping it against any number of soils and you may find that it works well as a shovel in most cases.
8. Decontaminate water
Heating up water is one of the key ways to absolve any potential threats in it if you don’t have a water purifier with you; however this isn’t always an easy thing to do when you don’t have a container for the water to sit in while you heat it up. Thankfully, a coffee can is the perfect thing for this.
9. Thaw ice and snow
Fresh water can be found in snow, and because a coffee can is able to be used over a fire, melting it is easier than ever. In addition to that, heating it up past the normal temperature you might drink it at can be a wonderful way to warm up if it’s cold out.
Whatever you may be doing or wherever you may be going, carrying an emergency survival kit along is advised. It’s not too difficult to put one together and stash it in the trunk of your car for future usage, because when something does happen, you may find yourself feeling quite glad that you remembered to prepare ahead of time.
Plus, there are more than the above ways that a coffee can is able to benefit you, and by utilizing one in your survival kit, you can discover a plethora of different features that something as simple as a coffee can is able to assist you with.
Don’t leave home empty handed – prepare yourself, and make sure a coffee can makes the survival list. Did you enjoy this article? Feel free to share on social media by using the super-easy share buttons below!