You can never know what life will throw at you. This is especially true when we are talking about various natural disasters. Natural disasters can hit you any time without any kind of warning, and in recent times, it seems to be happening more frequently. That is why you need to be prepared for the unexpected. And having an emergency preparedness list is the best way to protect you and your loved ones from any kind of unexpected disastrous events. However, most people do not take this seriously and suffer terribly because of that. Fortunately, making an emergency preparedness list is not difficult at all and it only takes a few moments.
Here are a few tips that will help you prepare the list easily.
- Planning is the first thing you should do. To make a list, you need to make a detailed plan about what you will do and how you are going to do those things. Moreover, you will also have to plan for the essential supplies you will need during that period. So, planning is the key here. You need to take your time when preparing the list. Make sure that you double check everything. This way you can be really sure that you will be prepared when the time comes.
- The next thing is the supplies. You will want to make sure that you have all the items you require to survive in an emergency situation. Give special attention to food and medications essential to keep you alive. You may also include items such as water purification tablets, ropes, blankets, flashlights, and communication devices, such as a radio, cell phone, etc. Mobility is also another important factor when it comes to being prepared for a disaster. That is why you should also include plastic tubs and bags large enough to hold all these items.
- Another very important thing to have in your emergency list is the numbers of all the important contacts. This contact list may include details of the family members, nearest police station, hospitals, family doctor, dentist, etc. You should also include any medical conditions, allergies or other health problems of your family members on this list. This way you can avoid any kind of unwanted medical mishaps by the doctors in case you need to visit the hospital for an emergency.
- Extra cash should be on the list as well. You never know when you might need the use of cash. In case of a disaster, your banks and all other ATM booths may become useless. That is why some amount of cash should always be kept in a safe location for emergency situations.
- Another very important but often ignored thing is the escape plan itself. All emergency lists should have a detailed escape plan for the whole family. Make sure that you draw the plan in detail and explain it to all the family members. This escape plan should include the location of all the doors and windows that are easily accessible to all the family members, as well as the exact location for everyone to meet.
You can also use our preparedness checklist generator here